Raspberry Nice Cream with a quick granola
"A hot morning is the perfect time to play in the lake"
This line, taken from one of the children's books that the baby loves recently, has been on my mind all summer long, that for some reason seems longer than usual. Longer and sweatier than usual. Kind of a cucumber time (slow news season) that all you feel like doing is dipping in a cool fjord full of greenery and jumping fish.
Every morning I wake up from my dream straight to 95 (f, 35c) degrees and 75% humidity on average, running straight to the dry coolness of the air conditioner.
To bounce back from this wakening return to reality, I make myself a summer comfort food: nice cream!
So what is nice cream?
Nice cream is a soft and frozen vegan ice cream you quickly make from fruit in the Ninja cup (or any other blender), decorate and season as you wish.
The base of every nice cream is frozen banana, and you can add any fruit you like to make the color and flavor you like. Of course, don’t forget fluids and sweeteners (if you want to) that would help to turn the pile of frozen fruit to a creamy and delightful wonder.
To make an orange-yellow nice cream add mango and pineapple, for a green one add avocado, or apple, herbs like basil or mint, and spirulina for a dark green color. For a blue one add frozen blueberries, or strawberries for a red one. There are a million ideas online and you can use anything you want to eat or have at home.
I had a packet of raspberries in my freezer that begged to be eaten and piles of raspberries from last year. So in order to make room in my freezer and because I like the color pink, I made raspberries nice cream that together with as fast granola in a pan (it's too hot to turn the oven on and wait for 30 minutes until it's ready) makes a quick and satisfying breakfast.
Raspberry nice cream with a quick granola
- food processor
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 date
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup ice cubes
For the granola:
- 3/4 cup whole oats
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp silan (date honey) or maple syrup
- 1 pinch cinnamon (optional)
- Fresh raspberries, grape halves, shredded coconut
Start with the granola:
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and then pour the oats in. Mix well until all of the oats are covered with oil.
- Pour the maple or silan and sprinkle some cinnamon.
- Keep frying while constantly stirring for 3 minutes until granola chunks are formed and there are no liquids.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Make the nice cream:
- In a large Ninja cup blend raspberries, bananas, date, soy milk, ice and silan until smooth. If the mixture is too stiff add some more milk and blend again in pulses.
- Pour into bowls, sprinkle granola chunks, fresh raspberries, grapes and shredded coconut.
- Eat quickly with a spoon before it melts!
- As I mentioned, you can substitute the raspberries with any other frozen fruit and add any ingredients and seasoning you like.
- You can substitute the soy milk with any other plant-based milk. For a really creamy nice cream, use coconut cream…mmm…
Very early in the morning, or at night time when I sit on the porch, a cool wind sneaks in and for a few moments I am hopeful that cooler days are ahead.